Winter is a difficult time for our hair. Cold air, dry indoor air and often hats and other accessories that can damage our hair. Hair becomes dry, brittle and difficult to comb. However, it doesn’t have to be this way! The right care can help keep our hair in good condition even on the coldest of days. In this article, we’ll share some simple tips to keep your hair healthy and shiny even in winter.
Top tips for winter hair care
- Use conditioners and hair masks – in winter, hair is particularly dry and needs extra care. Conditioners and masks will help prevent split ends and increase moisture.
- Avoid washing your hair too often – washing your hair too often can lead to dryness, especially in winter when the air is already so dry. Try to wash your hair every 2-3 days or use dry shampoos to refresh it between washes.
- Protection from frost and wind – wearing a hat in winter is important to protect your hair from frost and wind. However, if you wear a beanie too often, your hair can become electrified. To prevent this, you can use a special hair mist or apply some oil to your hair.
- Adequate hydration – there is less moisture in the air in winter, which can lead to dry hair. Remember to moisturise your hair from within by drinking plenty of water and eating moisturising foods such as vegetables and fruit.
- Avoid using hair dryers and straighteners – if possible, try to avoid using hair dryers and straighteners in winter, as the extra heat can dry out your hair even more. However, if you must use them, set the temperature to the lowest setting and use heat-protecting sprays.
Winter is a difficult time not only for hair
Yes, the skin on your face and hands especially needs extra care in winter, as low temperatures and dry, cold air can dry out the skin and make it rough and irritated. You can prevent these problems by applying moisturising skin creams and lotions and using gloves to protect your hands from the cold and wind. It is also important not to forget to protect your lips, as they are susceptible to dryness and cracking during winter. You can use a lipstick or lip balm to keep them in good condition.